Check out these brass turned elements photos:
UK Police History – Scotland Yard’s “Black Museum”
Image by brizzle born and bred
The Black Museum of Scotland Yard is a famed collection of criminal memorabilia kept at the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police in London, England. The museum came into existence sometime in 1874, although unofficially. It was housed at Scotland Yard, and grew from the collection of prisoners’ home gathered beneath the authority of the Prisoners Property Act of 1869. The act was intended to help the police in their study of crime and criminals. By 1875, it had turn out to be an official museum of the force, with a police inspector and a police constable assigned to duty there. The initial guests for whom records exist came in 1877. The very first recognized reference to the museum as the "Black Museum" came that year as properly.
Despite being intended mainly for use by the police, the public could see it by specific arrangement. The name "Black Museum" was a nickname the collection was formally referred to as the "Crime Museum."
The term was also applied to a museum of failed engineering components collected by David Kirkaldy at his testing works at 99 Southwark Street, Southwark, London. The latter museum was destroyed in the London Blitz. The artefacts incorporated fractured lugs from the Tay Bridge disaster.
The exhibits integrated numerous death masks made of executed criminals, as properly as collections of weapons, tools utilized by burglars, and items that had been proof in crimes.
In 1951, British industrial radio producer Harry Alan Towers developed a radio series hosted by Orson Welles called The Black Museum, inspired by the catalogue of products on show. Each and every week, the programme featured an item from the museum and a dramatization of the story surrounding the object to the macabre delight of audiences. Typically mistakenly cited as a BBC production, Towers commercially syndicated the programme all through the English speaking planet. The American radio writer Wyllis Cooper also wrote and directed a similar anthology for NBC that ran at the very same time in the U. S. called Whitehall 1212, for the phone number of Scotland Yard, the plan debuted on November 18, 1951, and was hosted by Chief Superintendent John Davidson, curator of the Black Museum.
The Museum was moved to New Scotland Yard in the 1980s and was subject to substantial renovation in current years. The Crime Museum, as it is now called, at the moment resides in Space 101 at New Scotland Yard and consists of two sections. The first, a replica of the original museum contains a substantial selection of melee weapons, some overt, some concealed, such as shotgun umbrellas and several walking stick swords. This room also includes a choice of hangman’s nooses including that used to execute the UK’s last ever execution and letters allegedly written by Jack the Ripper. The newer section of the museum includes several exhibits from 20th century crimes, notable inclusions incorporate the fake De Beers diamond from the Millennium Dome heist and Dennis Nilsen’s stove. The museum can be visited by Police officers from any of the country’s police forces by prior appointment, even though not with no difficulty due to its reputation.
The Black Museum of criminal artefacts also hosts more than 500 things preserved at a continual temperature of sixty-two degrees, a particular place is reserved for a set of printing plates, a outstanding series of forged bank-notes, and a cunningly hollowed out kitchen door as soon as utilized to conceal some of them, after belonging to Charles Black, the most prolific counterfeiter in the Western Hemisphere.
Open Scotland Yard museum of crime, says London mayor Boris Johnson
For a lot more than a century, Scotland Yard’s “Black Museum” has catalogued artefacts from the most gruesome crimes of London — and the exhibits have been regarded as well horrible to be shown to the public.
Generations of police officers have been granted access to its dimly lit rooms, to see the ghastly relics. For practically everyone else, it has remained off limits.
This restriction in the name of public decency may possibly be about to finish. Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, is backing a strategy to turn some of the exhibits into a tourist attraction, a museum to celebrate the capital’s emergency solutions.
The Black Museum contains objects from the Jack the Ripper and Dr Crippen cases — Crippen was in 1910 convicted of murdering his wife and disposing of the physique in a bath of acid — and a horrible pair of binoculars.
Brian Coleman, the chairman of the London Fire and Emergency Organizing Authority, is functioning with the mayor on a program for the new museum. “The police are fairly jealous of some of the information they are allowed access to,” Mr Coleman mentioned. “And to be really truthful, some of the products are just as well gruesome for members of the public — but if we had a Black Museum, we would have vacationers queueing round the corner.”
In 1869 Parliament gave the police the authority to retain specific things of prisoners’ property for instructional purposes. An Inspector Neame initially gathered collectively a collection for training purposes, and the initial guests — the top brass at the Yard — inspected the museum in 1877. When that same year a journalist was denied access to the collection, he named the collection the Black Museum in his subsequent report. The name stuck.
It is currently housed in two rooms on the second floor of New Scotland Yard, overseen by Alan McCormick, a retired police officer. The lighting is dim to avoid bleaching exhibits.
The oldest exhibit is a pair of handcuffs employed in 1841 to restrain a mutineer. There is weaponry, including swords concealed in walking sticks — and the poisoned umbrella employed in 1978 to kill the Bulgarian writer and dissident Georgi Markov on Waterloo Bridge.
A briefcase created to fire a poisoned dart into witnesses on the methods of the Old Bailey — former property of the Kray twins — is also in the collection. They never got to use it.
Then there are those infamous binoculars: when the lenses are screwed into focus a pair of spikes shoot out to blind the user.
Amongst the more recent exhibits in the museum is the bloodstained uniform worn by Computer Keith Blakelock, the officer killed in the Broadwater Farm riots in Tottenham in 1985, and a section on the serial killer Dennis Nilsen. Parts of the bathroom in which Nilsen hid bodies are in the Black Museum.
For the moment, such artefacts are noticed only by police officers and associated experts as portion of their instruction. MPs and ambassadors have also visited.
The thought is that things would go on display in a “Blue Light Museum”, alongside artefacts from the history of the London ambulance and fire solutions.
Yesterday Andy Hayman, former Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, broadly endorsed the mayor’s strategy for an exhibition, describing the museum as “the Madame Tussauds of the Yard”.
Mr Hayman stated: “I was rather apprehensive the very first time I visited the museum. I wondered if I was getting voyeuristic and disrespectful to the victims and their families.
“After a handful of moments, even so. these concerns had been replaced with fascination and interest.
“This museum presents such effectively-kept artefacts of significant historical worth it seems a shame the common public do not have the opportunity to have this encounter.
“The mayor’s bid to give access to the general public ought to be encouraged, offering we do not drop sight of our respect for the victims and their families.”
De Saussure chest, MESDA, Winston-Salem, NC
Image by hdes.copeland
Figure 8 Chest of drawers labeled by William Jones, Charleston, 1788–1789. Mahogany and mahogany veneer with white pine, ash, tulip poplar, and mahogany. H. 34 1/2", W. 42", D. 21 3/4". (Collection of the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts.) The drawer-face veneers and stringing are replaced.
William Jones is a single of the non-German cabinetmakers who clearly was a youngster of the German conclave but dipped more than a toe into the waters of Massachusetts style. Based upon a labeled chest of drawers that descended in the DeSaussure family (fig. eight), 4 case pieces have been attributed to his shop. These objects supply a clear window on the shifting sands of style in Charleston’s cabinet trade at the finish of the 1780s. Considering that he was not an orphan, nothing is recognized of Jones’s apprenticeship, nor do we even know regardless of whether he was a South Carolina native. There is no question, however, that he was either an apprentice or journeyman—or both—in 1 of the far more prominent shops of the German college. He very first appears in city records in 1787, located at the corner of Church and Tradd Streets. In August 1788, Jones, who described himself as a “Cabinet maker and Undertaker,” placed a notice that he had “Removed from No. 24, corner of Church and Tradd streets, to No. 54, Meeting street.” A similar notice appeared in May possibly 1789, indicating that Jones had moved from Meeting Street to 51 King Street. He was listed there in Milligan’s city directory for 1790. Drastically, this home seems to be the very same lot and building—evidently containing both a residence and a shop—that was purchased by Charles Desel in August 1790. At that time, Desel evidently was nevertheless in partnership with Henry Gesken on Church Street. Milligan’s directory does not list Desel at 51 Broad until 1794, where he remained until his death in 1807.16
Jones naturally was a productive tradesman. His ads were largely placed to inform his patrons of address alterations and to seek journeymen. He advertised for a journeyman in the summer time of 1790, and the following November he sought “one or two Journeymen Cabinet–Makers.” In each March and April of 1791 he once again advertised for journeymen and noted that he had added upholstery to the solutions of his shop. Another notice in December 1791 announced a move to “No. 40 Tradd Street,” exactly where Jones intended to carry on the “cabinet & upholstery company in a a lot more substantial manner than just before.” The exact same advertisement again sought two journeymen for the cabinet trade “and 1 to the upholsterers line.” Jones became a member of the South Carolina Society in the spring of 1792 and died the following November. One of the appraisers who signed his inventory of February 1793 was Jacob Sass.17
The inventory, which described Jones as a “Cabinet Maker deceased late of Tradd Street,” is both in depth and revealing. The “Stock in Trade” listed four “Mahogany Bedsteads” valued at £3.ten each, a “Pair Inlaid Tea Tables” valued at £5 apiece, 3 “Setts” of dining tables, an “inlaid Cellerett,” an inlaid “Slabb” table, a “Comode,” a “Beaureau” valued at £5, two easy chairs, an unfinished sofa, two unfinished “Wardrobes” valued at £10, ten pairs of “Mahogany Carved Bed Posts” valued at only 14 shilling a pair, and other unfinished function such as a bookcase, desk, commode, tea table, and a “Chest of Drawers,” the latter valued at £5. The shop contained “Sundry Mahogany Table Leggs & Rails . . . Cutt up Chair Stuff . . . 12 Turned Bed Posts,” and other assorted furnishings elements along with a great deal of lumber, which includes mahogany, ash, pine, and “Sundry Drying Wood & Stringing.” A “lot of hair,” along with “22M Brass Nails” and “girth Webb,” tacks, “Hair Seating,” and mattress covers attest to the upholstery portion of the business. In addition to furnishings, coffin hardware, and “Sundry Tools,” the shop contained seven “new & old” workbenches, together worth £3.ten. Also on hand have been seventeen pieces of completed furnishings, but because they are interspersed in the inventory with eight unfinished pieces and components for fourteen bedsteads, it is unlikely that the finished pieces had been imported furniture warehoused by Jones.18
The most substantial documentation of Jones’s Charleston career is the fragment of a label pasted more than a lock inside a single of the drawers of the DeSaussure chest (figs. 8, 9). Most of the label was destroyed when the lock was removed, but it is achievable to extrapolate the missing portion. Accompanying illustrations of tasseled drapery, an upholstered armchair, and a shield-back side chair stuffed over the rails was the text: “william jones,/Upholsterer & Cabinet Maker/N… Meeting Street/Charleston.” The competently-engraved label is signed “Abernathie” in the decrease correct corner. Thomas Abernathie (d. 1796) first advertised his trade to the citizens of Charleston in June 1786. In January 1795, he was located at 42 Queen Street, exactly where he advertised as an “Engraver in General” and offered to carry out “Copper Plate Printing . . . With accuracy and dispatch.” In a notice published late in 1786 he indicated that he also carried out “the company of a Land Surveyor.”19
The “N… Meeting Street” address on Jones’s label suggests that he produced the chest in between August 1788, when he advertised that he had moved from the corner of Church and Broad to Meeting Street, and Could 1789, when he informed his customers that he had “removed” to 51 Broad. When discovered, the chest was practically as shabby as its mutilated label. The rear feet and face veneers of the drawer fronts had been missing, and the cockbeading had been cut flush with the altered drawer faces. Typical of Charleston case furniture of the 1780s and early 1790s, the drawers had been not veneered on horizontally-laminated cores. To steer clear of excessive waste from sawing the serpentine facade from single, thick boards, Jones face-glued 3 pieces of thin, complete-height mahogany scantling with each other, resulting in visible vertical joints inside several drawers. The veneer facings of the foot cants were also missing. They have been replaced with the inclusion of basic outline stringing to match the existing front faces of the feet (fig. ten). The single-line string on the feet suggested a comparable therapy for the drawers, which, judging from other operate attributed to Jones, possibly had book-matched veneers initially. Following the usual treatment of the later phase of the German college, the case cants have horizontally grained panels of mahogany outlined with a single string. The base molding above the foot cants is cut integrally with the wedge-shaped pieces forming the cants themselves.
The case design of Jones’s chest is comparable to a pre-Revolutionary Charleston instance attributed to Pfeninger and his associates in the German college (see Savage, p. 116, fig. 14). The serpentine front, canted corners, and sharp coves behind the cants are a subdued British response to the French style. Chests of this strategy adhere to the design of a “Commode Cloths Press” that Chippendale illustrated in all 3 editions of the Director (pl. 130 in the 3d edition). Chests of drawers with the same plan occurred in Philadelphia at about the identical time that the Pfeninger example was created, possibly in the course of the mid- to late 1770s. Brock Jobe has proposed that this form could have been brought to Charleston from New England even so, handful of Massachusetts-school examples can be dated ahead of the 1780s. Two canted-corner chests from Salem (in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms, U.S. Department of State) definitely could date early in that decade, but a majority of the early examples seem to be from South Carolina and Pennsylvania shops. In Charleston, the canted-corner program evidently originated in the German-college shops, because its earliest appearance is the base of the Edwards library bookcase, which almost certainly dates no later than 1770 (see Savage, pp. 106–7, fig. 1). As on the chest attributed to Pfeninger, the case cants of the Jones chest, as effectively as the coves behind them, are formed from full-height vertical appliqués at the leading edges of the case sides the joint at the front is covered by the veneer facings of the cants. Unlike the flat cants of the Jones chest, the cants on the Pfeninger piece are “swelld” at the feet, a detail significantly in tune with the baroque fugues of the German college. The Jones piece is practically the same size as the Pfeninger example, and each have ungraduated drawers like a chest that descended in the Porcher family of Charleston. The latter chest, illustrated in figures 13 and 14 of E. Milby Burton’s Charleston Furniture, 1700–1825, has veneer-paneled canted corners and replaced feet.
For an image of the very same chest prior to restoration was begun, see yet another photo in this exact same file: www.flickr.com/photographs/hdescopeland/6855978979/in/set-7215…
Photo and text posted: 8 March 2011
Revised: 17 February 2012
Copyright reference: Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, MESDA, Old Salem, NC
Origin of text: www.chipstone.org
1997 – "The material in this report is adapted from a manuscript below preparation by Bradford Rauschenberg and John Bivins for the forthcoming monograph Charleston Furnishings 1680–1820, to be published by the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts and distributed by the University of North Carolina Press."