A few good metal machining services images I discovered:
Construction of the bulk carrier ‘Fernriver’
Image by Tyne & Put on Archives & Museums
Lifting the forecastle unit of the bulk carrier ‘Fernriver’ into spot at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 9 September 1966 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/four/PH/1/718/five).
This set celebrates the achievements of the well-known Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was identified as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its final wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding.
By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For numerous years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth biggest output of any shipyard in the globe.
The Depression impacted the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels had been launched from 1931 to 1934. However, for the duration of these years the firm developed a hull design giving higher efficiency and economy in service. For the duration of the Second Globe War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was employed by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards in between 1942 and 1945.
After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to develop many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, though it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger.
(Copyright) We’re pleased for you to share these digital pictures within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite ‘Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums’ when reusing. Certain restrictions on higher high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply although if you happen to be unsure please email email@example.com
San Francisco – Alcatraz: Cellhouse – Escape from Alcatraz – vent
Image by wallyg
Frank Lee Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin attempted one particular of the most intricate escapes from Alcatraz prison on June 11, 1962. More than a period of months, the 3 inmates chiseled by way of the moisture broken concrete with metal spoons soldered with silver from a dime and an electric drill improvised from a stolen vacuum cleaner motor to enlarge the wall vents in their cells. After the 9:35pm cell count, they climbed inside an unguarded 3-foot wide utility corridor behind Cell Block "B" to the roof, and scrambled over the perimeter wall to the water’s edge exactly where they attempted escape on a raft created of the prison’s regular concern raincoats and make contact with cement. To avoid detection, they left carefully made papier-mâché heads of themselves, created of soap, cement and scraps of hair from the barbershop, in their bunks. Even though they were in no way heard of once more, it was long believed that they drowned in the bay. In the first season of television plan, Mythbusters, the feasibility of escaping Alcatraz on a makeshift raft was tested and judged to be achievable. Uncovered official records later showed a raft, with footprints major away, was found on Angel Island and reports of a stolen auto have been created in the area that evening.
The principal cell residence on Alcatraz Island was the biggest steel-reinforced concrete building in the world when it was built in 1912. Developed to hold up to 600 prisoners, it was the brainchild and pride of Key Reuben B. Turner, building engineer and first commandant of the military. Central steam heat, skylights and electrical energy contributed to its reputation as a model, modern day, facility.
Like any other structure on the island, construction presented challenges. Material and gear had to be shipped in on barges. Mixing cement, the principal developing element, necessary fresh water not naturally obtainable on the land. Labor was largely provided by unskilled inmates.
Like prisons within a prison, four free of charge standing cellblocks stood inside the cellhouse so that no cell adjoined an outdoors wall or ceiling that a prisoner may tunnel by way of. Prior to it assumed its role as a maximum-safety lockup, tool-proof bars replaced the flat, soft-steel barriers of the military prison and gun galleries were built at either end of the two principal cell blocks.
Alcatraz Island, a 22-acre island situated 1.five miles offshore in San Francisco Bay, has served as a lighthouse, a military fortification, and a prison. In 1972, the island usually referred to as The Rock, became a national recreation area operated by the National Park Service as component of the Golden Gate National Recreation Region (GGNRA) and is at the moment open to tours.
The island was very first found in 1775 by Spaniard Juan Manuel de Ayala, who charted the bay and named it "La Isla de los Alcatraces," or "The Island of the Pelicans." The island’s earliest recorded owner is Julian Workman was the island’s earliest recorded owner, given it by Mexican governor Pio Pico in 1846 to construct a lighthouse. Following the acquisition of California in 1848, the United States fortified the island for positioning of coastal batteries. When the civil War broke out in 1861, the island mounted 85 cannons (improved to 105 by 1866) and served as the San Francisco Arsenal. Alcatraz in no way fired its guns but was utilized to imprison Confederate sympathizers. In 1867, a brick jailhouse was built and in 1868, Alcatraz was designated a long-term detention facility for military prisoners–a role it prominently played for the duration of the Spanish-American War.
Right after the 1906 Earthquake, civilian prisoners had been transferred to Alcatraz, and the facilities were gradually expanded at the starting of the century. Construction on Key Reuben Turner’s enormous concrete major cell block was completed in 1912. The Fortress was deactivated as a military prison in 1933 and transferred to the Division of Justice, becoming a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison the following year. For the duration of its 29 years of operation, the penitentiary claimed no prisoners had ever successfully escaped–36 prisoners were involved in 14 attempts 23 have been caught, six have been shot and killed, and 3 were lost at sea and never ever found. Alcatraz held such notable criminals as Al Capone, Robert Franklin Stroud (better recognized as the "Birdman of Alcatraz"), George "Machine Gun" Kelly, James "Whitey" Bulger, and Alvin "Creepy Karpis" Karpowicz (who served much more time at Alcatraz than any other inmate).
Far more expensive to operate than other prisons, Alcatraz was closed on March 21, 1963 by Lawyer General Robert F. Kennedy. From 1969-1971, the island was occupied by a multi-tribal group of Native Americans, culminating in the Trail of Broken Treaties.
National Register #76000209 (1976)
Image by splorp
A snow clearing engine parked along the rail tracks in Banff.